Updating Caruna’s customer information system
Finland’s largest electricity distribution company Caruna started using Empower’s EnerimCIS invoicing and customer information system as a Saas service in autumn 2017. This means that EnerimCIS is now used in handling energy-related matters for more than one million Finns – and the figure just keeps on increasing.
The system is a daily tool for Caruna’s customer service as all work orders and service requests from customers pass through it. In addition, Caruna’s customer invoicing is handled through the EnerimCIS system.
– At Caruna, customer experience development is one of the key goals. We have renewed our service processes, aiming for customer satisfaction and excellent customer experience quality. The EnerimCIS system contributes to these goals and provides us with fast and smoothly functioning interfaces for the service needs of both our customers and our other stakeholders, says Vesa Ojala, who was in charge of the project at Caruna.
The most important indicator of the project’s success was that all of Caruna’s customer issues were handled smoothly and operational quality remained high throughout the project.
– We have nearly 700,000 customers so it is important that the system automates all of our most essential processes and that the system change has not created confusion among our customers, Ojala goes on to say. Our goal is to automate our processes, all the way from the customer order to the work carried out by a contractor, and to take care of customer issues during a single encounter. EnerimCIS enables us to do this and speeds up our operations by digitalising the entire service chain.
EnerimCIS automates all processes required by the retail electricity market. The service that Caruna uses is browserbased and can be flexibly adjusted to changes in the electricity market. Thanks to its modular structure, the system can also be connected with systems of other partners and different service providers.
– Our customer information system is connected to dozens of other information systems we use so a system that plays such a key role must function safely and reliably in order to not disturb our operations, Ojala notes. It is important for us that information security is taken into account in the system already at the planning phase. During the project, we also audited the system from the point of view of information security and ensured that safe solutions were developed for the risks identified.
The project started in autumn 2015 with more detailed specification, in which different use cases and functional requirements were mapped and service design goals were agreed on.
– Interaction between Caruna’s and Empower’s teams was constructive and together we created a functional solution, Ojala summarises.
System development cooperation still continues strongly as Empower also manages the maintenance and capacity service of Caruna’s EnerimCIS system.
– The optimal result was reached by combining energy sector customer service and process competence with strong technological know-how and learning from each other along the way, says Mika Yletyinen, President of Energy Intelligence at Empower.